Early Years Foundation Stage
In the Nursery and Reception classes four guiding principles shape our practice:
- Unique child – every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Positive Relationships – children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
- Enabling Environment – children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs.
- Develop and learn in different ways – children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
We provide a broad balanced curriculum covering the EYFS areas of learning and development which include prime areas of learning and specific areas of learning:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Our Specific Areas of Learning:
- Phonics & Literacy
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
We follow the children’s interests when planning for each group of children and recognize the importance of involving the children in choosing activities and resources.
Child-initiated learning is an important part of our daily routine and whenever possible adult–directed activities are play based, active and related to the children’s interests.
At Pleasant Places learning journals/Diary are provided daily which enables parents and carers to easily access information about their child and make an important contribution to their child’s learning and development. All areas of learning are given equal emphasis and are interrelated.
We aim to help children with their learning through observing, getting involved in their play, supporting their thinking and asking open questions.